Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Little Jet setter !

I have always enjoy traveling. Penguin parade at Phillip Island, Australia; Tango at La Boca, Buenos Aires; Opera at Palais Garnier, Paris; Food heaven at Singapore hawker centers ....
So having a baby isn't going to change my life style. I was determine to bring along my baby with me, wherever that is.

When my son was 4 month old, I decided to bring him back to my home country, Malaysia to visit my family. It is 7674 miles away from where we live. The planning started few weeks before the trip, to begin, getting ready with the appropriate travel documents.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

When travel internationally, it is advisable to have an up-to-date vaccination for the child. Moreover, check to see whether additional vaccines are required. I will recommend visiting to a travel health clinic. CDC website provide a comprehensive health information base on destination.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm

Here are my lists of things that I pack in my luggage whenever I travel with my kids:

Appropriate clothing for local weather
Baby formula (of course you can skip this if you are breast feeding!)
Baby food/ snacks
Sunscreen lotion (for baby older than 6 months old. Avoid direct sun exposure, cover with hat/clothing)
Diapers/Wipes (10/day for Newborn; 8/day for baby; 6/day for toddler)
Favorite blanket/books/toys (new toys to keep child interested on the long flights)
Thermometer, Baby nail clipper
Medications (fever reducer, benadryl, hydrocortisone cream, neosporin antibiotic ointment, Regular prescribed medication)
Insect repellent (especially for Malaria & Dengue epidermic regions)



Offer your baby breast/bottle/pacifier during takeoff and initial descent to reduce ear pain causes by changing air cabin pressure.
Expect that your baby will cry on the plane, most people will understand that baby cries. But bring along a few ear plugs and give it to those who don't !

Last but not least, don't forget to take lots of pictures for those precious moments.
Happy traveling !




1 comment:

  1. Very good! Another very useful and informative piece.

    ReplyDelete