Sunday, September 23, 2012

Food fight

At the time I am writing this, I have 2 toddlers age kids at home. I can completely relate and understand every time parents at the clinic told me that meal time for them is a constant battle. Their child goes into food strike almost every day. And they are desperate to win this fight.

I have a friend telling me that she has pretty much given up putting on these fights with her kids. She has resolute to feeding her kids in front of the television screen every night during dinner. Surely, we have better way to tackle those little one than give up!

Few times a week, my kids will challenge me on the dinner table. My son will pick out all the mushroom and only eat the beef;  my daughter will refuse to sit on the high chair. Or worse, both of them will throw a tantrum at the same time, crying and kicking !

Toddlers and young children often choose mealtimes to put on a show of independence. They learn that parents often easily give in at the end of a tiring day. For them, refusing dinner is an extremely good way to gain our attention.


We need to take charge, be very patience with ourselves and the kids. Be sure to have everyone eats together at the dinner table. Let the kids to be in charge of feeding themselves; it's ok to be messy. Make sure they are not full before dinner time from milk, juice or snacks. Be creative, make the food more appetizing and fun. Last but not least, keep the TV off !


When all failed, take a deep breath, and tomorrow will be a better day !






No comments:

Post a Comment