Friday, August 10, 2012

Bon Appetit !

One of my kids favorite book is  "The very hungry caterpillar". The Caterpillar started very good by eating fruits from Monday to Friday. But on saturday, the caterpillar ate his heart out and had all the goodies in one day, that night, he has a stomachache .....

Whenever friends or families told me how lucky I am that my kids are good eaters. I will smile calmly and agree with them. The truth is my kids are not naturally good eaters, we did go through some ups and downs like every other families. Not to despair, there are several mantras that I tend to follow.

To nurture a good eating behavior, you will have to start young. Very young, as in during pregnancy.
Research has shown that what mom eats will shape baby's food preference later in life. This is because both amniotic fluid and breast milk flavored by food that mother eats.

When the baby starts eating solid food, introduce vegetables before fruits. Fruits are sweeter in general, most babies will like it easily. Consider different ethnic-based food to widen their taste horizon. Be pesistent, try any new food for more than 10 times before you label that food inedible ! The odds are they will eventually learn to like it.


Happy savoring !



No comments:

Post a Comment